6/14/10

NOLA Again: Reunion

Last night I took the streetcar to Canal street and walked a block to Hotel Monteleone.  My dad and I went into the top-floor conference room to take a few pictures of the view.  After meeting with my mom at the pool we went to dinner.  


 We could not have eaten in a prettier setting. We sat in the famous courtyard at the Court of Two Sisters, where my mom used to eat all the time when she was younger.  We sat in the shade of a well cultivated wisteria that was decorated with pale blue and white lights.


 I had my first mint julep (not my favorite) and ordered the turtle soup with sherry along with their appetizer of escargot-stuffed mushrooms (excellent).  Mom had the shrimp and grits (cooked with spicy andouille) and Dad had the fried catfish (very fresh tasting).  At first I did not think my escargot was going to be filling enough but boy was I wrong.  I was very glad I had not ordered an entree when it came to dessert: Raspberry swirl cheesecake that was so whipped and fluffy you'd think it was a mousse.

Escargot


Escar-gone


The place has a bad reputation from the guidebooks as being overrated, but I think that might apply more correctly to their jazz brunch buffet, because we found the entire experience to be pleasant (and the food very tasty).  At the end of the night our server found out we were from Alaska and told us about the time he spent 9 months working in Anchorage in 1984 and lived with his uncle, the VP of Bank of Alaska (both now deceased).  What a small world.

After a long walk by the river and free trip on the Algiers ferry we called it an early night in the 90-degree heat.  I was walked back to the streetcar stop and rode back to the garden district, enjoying the noisy creaky griminess of the experience.



Tomorrow my dad is in a conference for half of the day and my mom and I are going to do some exploring on our own.

*Unfortunately, the internet connection here is very slow and it may take me a couple of days to post pictures later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment