1/8/08

The Move to Missouri: Kansas City

Distance: 364 miles

This morning Hans was feeling ill, so I called the front desk of the motel and asked how late we could check out since I had to take the car to a repair shop.  They aren’t exactly busy during this time of year, so the concierge said as long as we were checked out by 2 pm she didn’t care.  This made things a lot easier.  We unhooked the trailer and I left Hans to recover in the room while I drove across town.

Needless to say, our patience with the Passport is about expended.  Luckily, the diagnosis was not as dire as we thought it might be:  Another leak in the vacuum line (requiring a new hose) and the air filter was completely clogged.  I picked up Hans and the trailer a few hours later and we set off for as far as we felt like driving, which turned out to be Kansas City.  In rush-hour traffic.  Once we’d settled into the LAST motel of this adventure, my mom surprised me with some urgent news.  She told me that my graduate advisor had called and needed to talk to me as soon as possible.  So, I called him on his cell.

It turns out that the university has been trying to contact me for the last week or so via email (which I’ve been unable to check).  They claim they sent me a letter, which I know is a load of BS.  Anyway, their reason for wanting to contact me was thus:  I forgot to drop an undergraduate class I’d originally thought about taking this spring.  My assistantship covers my graduate tuition, so I have to pay for any undergrad tuition out of pocket.  I figured I’d drop the class once I got back to Cape Girardeau, but apparently SEMO requires tuition payment in full well before the semester even begins, so now I’ve defaulted on payment on a class I plan to drop anyway.

So, in the mean time my advisor received a message from the university that was to the effect that if I do not drop the class or pay for it by 5 pm tomorrow, I will be automatically dropped from my graduate program and lose my assistantship. 

Awesome.

I totally need more stress in my life.

My advisor has offered to go to campus and pay for it himself in case Hans and I don’t make it back to town in time, but I don’t think that will be a problem.  As long as our car doesn’t break down again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I knew the trip was stressful but holy crap! I did not know you were close to losing school placement!

Post a Comment