3/18/13

Rose City

Did a lot of walking today.

This morning we went over to Voodoo Doughnut.  I got a maple-bacon bar (oh, yes) and Hans had a peach fritter (enormous).  I also ordered the C*ck and Ba!!s, thinking that each doughnut would be on the small size.  Oh, no.  This gigantic anatomically-shaped item filled the entire box our other doughnuts came in.  We're going to have to leave the gigantic chocolate-glazed and cream-filled tasty thang for breakfast tomorrow...

As we walked back to our hotel to drop off the leftovers, a bellhop on the street asked if we'd had the cocoa puff doughnut.  I replied by telling him what was in the box, but that it was "bigger than I thought it would be".  He began a reply but then stopped himself, blushing slightly, so I wished him a good morning and Hans and I walked away, giggling.

Our next stop was Powell's City of Books, a used and new book mecca that is like Tidalwave in Anchorage, but 10 times bigger!  Hans bought a Frank Herbert novel and I purchased an anthropological study on the Tlingit circa 1955 and their last copy of Wildwood by Colin Meloy of the Decemberists and illustrated by his talented wife, Carson Ellis.

We made a short pit stop back at the hotel to drop off the books and then went back out onto the streets and spent the rest of the day wandering all around downtown, along the waterfront, and through a couple of shops.  For the heck of it we went to the Ducks store for the University of Oregon.  There was a local news anchor and a camera guy, hoping to interview people about the upcoming basketball game.  They asked Hans for a few words but he declined.  I was hoping they'd approach me so I could reply "What's basketball?", but the opportunity never came.

We had drinks and lovely cheap Vietnamese appetizers at a new trendy bar downtown called Luc Lac.  The cocktails I had were pretty darn refreshing.  The first one had two kinds of tequila, tamarind juice, lime, and the tiniest hint of cinnamon.  Their food was excellent.  I'm still in disbelief over the $2 plates.

We went back to our room to give our feet a break....and then pretty much collapsed.






No comments:

Post a Comment