9/29/16

New Zealand - The Banks Peninsula


This morning our only task was to be back in Christchurch by nightfall where we'd be checking into jail AGAIN.  Gosh, we just can't stay out of trouble in New Zealand :)

In the morning I asked Hans pretty please if we could drive to the observatory at the top of Mt. St. John.  There was a small toll to use the road but we didn't mind because it's a very hairy and narrow road that probably needs help with maintenance costs.  Hans drove and I averted my eyes from the edge of the road.  The observatory buildings were all closed but we took in the view of Tekapo below and we each had a coffee from the Astro Cafe.



Once we were fairly close to Christchurch, we turned east to the Banks Peninsula which is the ancient volcanic area that sticks out from the south island.  A lot of the land around the peninsula is fairly flat but access to some of the small towns is limited so you have to drive up, up, up some very hairpin turns that have no guard rails at all.  I was doing okay for the first bit of driving uphill but once we crested the mountain and began descending I had to pull over and have Hans drive.  He is my hero today.  Unfortunately the roads were too intense for me and I was practically in tears over the height and poor road shoulder so I just closed my eyes so that I wouldn't freak out Hans while he drove.  We arrived at the former French colony of Akaroa.

Akaroa is a cute seaside resort town with little shops, B&Bs, and cafes.  We didn't linger very long but it was nice to walk around the esplanade and there were even some great sea shells to collect.  Hans drove back over the mountain and we had an easy night in the Jailhouse.  This time I took advantage of the hot water bottles they provide to guests.  Mmm..cozy.


A 150-year old church in Akaroa



Local War Memorial

No comments:

Post a Comment