9/24/19

Acadia Revisited: Threatening to Rain


This morning we decided to take it easy and treat ourselves to hot showers and breakfast in town.  Hans gets the Restaurant Choice Home Run Award for selecting Two Cats Cafe.  My insanely delicious (and cheesy) omelette came with a home made blueberry biscuit and whipped strawberry butter, which was so decadent!

2 Cats Cafe had a lovely garden and a brightly-colored dining room.  
We ate on the balcony in the fresh air.

With some coffee and ibuprofen in my system I packed a light bag and we trekked across the water to Bar Island at low tide.  Actually it was nearly low tide.  Not to be outdone by Hans, who'd charged through the shin-deep water in his sport sandals, I took off my hiking boots and socks and proceeded to trudge through the last bits of tidewater.  The cold wasn't so bad but the thousands of tiny sharp rocks and bits of broken shells were excruciating.  By the time I'd come to this conclusion I was a third of the way across and not about to turn back and face the dozens of other forlorn tourists who were patiently waiting for the waters to recede.  Hans hoisted me by the armpit as I put my socks and boots back on in a most undignified manner.

We climbed up onto the main bit of Bar Island and followed a short trail to a sort of overlook from where we could see Bar Harbor.  Two other people had been ahead of us so after they left Hans and I had the overlook to ourselves for about five minutes.   Back on the shore a constant stream of other hikers was moving quickly across the tidal flat.

More and less adventurous hikers crossing at low tide, view from the island

I immediately almost fell on my face like a prat

Tiny underwater worlds

Beautifully gloomy shore and sea

Hans waded around the in water and I caught up on this journal.  Even though I could hear many people passing along the island path behind me nobody was overtly loud or disruptive.  When we'd had enough exploration time we walked back to town and did a little bit of shopping.  

For the rest of the day we decided to eat camp food and play a board game.  As it began to get dark I thought it might be nice to have a fire but that's when the rain did decide to show up!  I tried to shield the kindling that was starting to burn but then a torrent of rain began to fall so I darted back under the tarp and gave up.  For the rest of the evening we played cards and did some reading.  I gathered the extinguished and partly burned firewood, moved it over to our shelter, and went to bed.

Hans failed to defeat my feline kingdom!

Hello, rain

No comments:

Post a Comment