2/2/20

Italy: In Transit


The Amtrak train took us from Baltimore to Newark in the afternoon.  Airport security at the international terminal was extremely un-busy.  The hot and stuffy gate area made me feel very unwell.  Once we were on the flight to London, we spread out comfortably since the plane had many empty seats.  I may have slept a few hours.  Hans watched some movies.

In the morning we had a somewhat long and tiring layover.  We both snoozed through the turbulent flight to Rome.  Figuring out the train ticketing system was easy enough even though I accidentally paid extra for a commuter train to Roma Termini rather than the cheaper (and very crowded) express airport train.

It was difficult to stay awake on the ride to Florence.  Once we made it to the hotel and settled for a little bit we went for a walk and had some delicious street food sandwiches for dinner at All'antico Vinaio.  At five Euros per sandwich, you get a slab of fresh foccacia with all manner of meat, cheese, spreads, and veggies.  Mine had some kind of magically creamed pecorino and eggplant.  I will chase dreams of that sandwich for the rest of my life.

Feeling exhausted back at the hotel, we had barely enough energy to shower the road dust off.  "Missed" the Super Bowl, which aired at around 11 pm Florence Time while we snored (I'll admit I checked the score in the middle of the night when I woke up for a little bit).

Our room had a bit of a view 

Our first look at the Duomo

No comments:

Post a Comment