7/22/09

Anchorage: day one and a half

We arrived yesterday afternoon but most of it is a bit of a haze. Hans and I started driving to the airport at a quarter to five in the morning and when we landed at Ted Stevens Int'l Airport it was 5:30 pm Missouri time, or 2:30 pm local time.

My mom picked us up at the airport and we picked up my brother before meeting my dad at the Moose's Tooth. I was already bleary-eyed and foggy when we got there, so the effects of the beer were multiplied twofold. All I could manage when we got home was to drag my bags upstairs and then crash on the couch. Everyone was fairly quiet when I awoke over an hour later. Hans had been downstairs to call his family and Dad and Lance were playing poker quietly while Mom bustled about.

She and I looked at some of my photo albums on Facebook while the others dug into a berry pie and ice cream.

By the time Dad took Lance back to his place Hans and I were ready for bed but after being indoors all day I wanted to go for a walk around the neighborhood for some fresh air. Parts of the neighborhood are shabbier than I remember but there were still plenty of well-kept gardens that got me thinking about what kind of plants would be nice in front of the house before I remembered that I am only here through Saturday night.

Under the gray clouds with small patches of blue the cool air felt wonderful and for the first in a long time my ears hurt from the chill breeze. It was glorious. I am fully aware that I'm over-romanticizing but I have missed this place more than I originally thought.

This morning I was up early and finished the book I began during our flight out of Minneapolis. I am not sure how the time is going to pass this week with everyone busy at work during the day. I certainly have work that can be done but I'd also like to go around town and take some pictures.