8/16/01

Europe 2001: Another Day on the Beach

I'm hurting right now, but I'll get to that later.  First, I'll go over the events of the day.  We awoke this morning to the smell of the buffet breakfast downstairs.  After a quick call home, we went down to eat.  Oh, the food was wonderful.  I ate a lot of bread, cheese, eggs, fruit, cereal, and finished off with some hot tea.  Amber had about three plates piled full of food.  It was fun to watch some of the other guests watching her eat with looks of astonishment.  When we were done, we went back upstairs and sprawled out on the bed to take naps.  Later, around noonish, we went out to buy some grass mats to lie on before going to the beach for 5 hours.  Naturally, I forgot to put sunscreen on my back, so of course, now, I have hideously painful sunburns all over my back.  At first, it didn't hurt, but as I was getting dressed to go to dinner, I was in a lot of pain.  Amber was put in a bad mood at dinner.  She found a dead fly in her salad.  She was charged for it all the same, which made her even angrier.  Can’t really blame her there.

After dinner we each had some ice cream and then giant clouds of cotton candy.  Later we sat down on a bench along the promenade to take a break. A little while later, two men sat behind us.  One of them asked time it was.  I showed them my watch. They asked what time it was again.  I showed them my watch.  One asked if we spoke French.  Amber replied that she did.  They asked what time was again.  They kept asking Amber if we spoke French or not.  I was beginning to wonder if they spoke French at all themselves.   Finally I turned around and said, "She (pointing at Amber) speaks French, I (pointing at myself) do not, okay?"  They laughed and said something to Amber.  She answered back and the men laughed some more.  Suddenly, Amber stood up and we said our good-byes.  I asked Amber what she had said.  "Oh," she replied, "The one guy told me that I was charming and I told him that he was a liar."



No comments:

Post a Comment