8/14/01

Europe 2001: Last Day in Rome

What a last day in Rome!  We are going home in five days.  We started off by stuffing ourselves with pastries at Panneli and then walked down several main roads to do some shopping, though the only things I bought today were a shot glass for Lance and a new pen for my journal-writing.  Then, in search of the Capuchin Crypts, we walked a million miles to the edge of Rome (literally, we made it all the way to the ancient city walls) and back without ever finding the crypts.  Then, we walked all the way back.  By then it was 6 pm.

In the morning when we checked out, Naomi had told us that there was a small chance that we would be able to use their showers before we left for Nice (gosh, don’t I sound a little obsessed with bathing?).  The receptionist that was at the Beehive that evening did as we had hoped and allowed us to use their facilities.  I don't think I have ever stripped so fast in my whole life.  After my shower, I gorged down 2 cokes and spoke with Mr. Brighton before he left for Naples.  Then, Amber and I went to the net cafe up the street and did some emailing.  Next, after we ate some pizza a nearby restaurant, we sat for 3 hours to wait for our train.  I got some good reading done.  When the train arrived, things got interesting.  The train was late getting in.  In other words, it arrived ten minutes before it was slated for departure.  Suddenly, there was a mad dash of people rushing with baggage carts, duffels, suitcases, and animals for the 22nd platform.  Amber and I, pushed by the inertia of the crowd, found our train car and jumped inside to find our wretched second-class bunks.  The bunks really were awful, smelly, hot, and dirty.  Throughout the night I did not sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment