7/28/09

Anchorage: Leaving Again

It has been a very long journey back. Yesterday was my brother's birthday. In the morning Hans and I went to Earthquake Park and Point Woronzof to wander the beach and take pictures. We tried to coordinate a hike with my brother but due to a severe mix up it ended up just being Hans and I. We made it most of the way up Flat Top but the wind was severe and we didn't care so much about reaching the summit so much as enjoying the view and each other's company. The birthday party was good. Got to see my sister and play games with the guest of honor. The birthday cake I made (yellow cake with butterscotch pudding filling, as requested by the Birthday Boy) went over well. Our friends K&A came over with their new baby for a couple of hours. I was dropped off at the airport later in the evening.

I am resolved to never fly through LAX again if I can help it. My fondness for Salt Lake City grew during my 3-hour layover. I took the netbook to a pub and enjoyed a tall locally-made porter and surfed the internet.

When I got back to St. Louis I still had to stop at REI to pick up a couple of packages (the last thing one wants to do after 18 hours of travel) but I made it back to Cape just after sunset.