1/1/10

Holiday Vacation: Happy New Year

I can't believe 2009 is already gone. This time last year Hans and I were somewhere in Arizona after having visited the Grand Canyon. Yesterday my mom and I put together a selection of finger food for New Year's Eve and our friends, K&A, came over with their baby for a few hours. Later in the evening my family played Mad Gabs, a game that should be re-named "Develop Your Own Speech Impediment", until my brother left for a party. By 10:30 us party animals were tired, so we uncorked the champagne (it was after midnight somewhere in the world, anyway) and went to bed shortly after.

The next morning we got up early to go see Avatar in 3D, which everyone enjoyed very much. After the movie Anchorage was blanketed with thick fog, but I excitedly asked to borrow the car after we got home. We drove up to the Glenn Alps part of town and my suspicions were confirmed: Up on Hillside the skies were crystal clear, offering panoramic sunset views of the mountains from Denali to Mt. Redoubt. We stopped at the Flattop Mountain parking lot, got out the camera, and hiked up the small viewing hill. There were several other people with the same idea we had, taking pictures and enjoying the view on New Year's Day. Mt. Redoubt could be seen spewing gas and steam. The Chugach Range behind us was also lovely. We stayed through most of the sunset, though our hands and feet were pretty cold by the time we went back to the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment